Monday 27 June 2016

Lionel Messi retires from international football after Argentina lose Copa America final to Chile

Lionel Messi has retired from international duty after missing in a penalty shootout as Argentina lost a fourth major final in nine years.
"It's been four finals, it's not meant for me. I tried. It was the thing I wanted the most, but I couldn't get it, so I think it's over."


"For me the national team is over. I've done all I can, it hurts not to be a champion," sad the 29-year-old Barcelona superstar in the wake of the penalty shoot-out defeat in New Jersey.

Messi, 29, has won eight La Liga titles and four Champions Leagues with Spanish side Barcelona. But his only major international honour is Olympic gold at the 2008 Games.

As well as losing two Copa America finals on penalties to Chile, Messi was in the Argentina side beaten 1-0 by Germany in the 2014 World Cup final.

The forward, who was been awarded the Ballon d'Or five times, was also on the losing side against Brazil in the 2007 Copa America final.


Reaction
Argentina and Manchester United goalkeeper Sergio Romero said he hoped Messi would "reflect" on his decision and reconsider.

"I think he spoke while he was heated, because a beautiful opportunity escaped us," said Romero. "I can't imagine a national team without Messi."

Sergio Aguero described the mood in the Argentina dressing room as "the worst I've ever been in" and suggested others may follow Messi's lead.

"There are several players who are evaluating not continuing with the national team," the Manchester City striker told South American media.

He added: "It is the worst defeat ever, worse than the two other finals. So the thinking is it might be time to make room for other players."

No comments:

Post a Comment